Lockheed Martin Case Study — AWS
- Hello Everyone, so today we will discuss about the use case on how Lockheed Martin Corporation uses and leverage the power of AWS to solve their multiple challenges.
- Firstly we will discuss about what is AWS and how it’s the leading in the market of Cloud World ???
AWS — Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 175 fully featured services from data centers globally.
- Millions of customers — including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies — are using AWS to lower costs, become more agile, and innovate faster.
- AWS is the leading cloud platform for multiple reasons -
- Most Functionality
- Largest community of customers and partners
- Most secure
- Fastest pace of innovation
- Most proven operational expertise
- So now who is Lockheed Martin Corporation and how they are leveraging the power of AWS to solve their challenges ???
Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Lockheed Martin Corporation is a U.S. aerospace, defense, security, and advanced technologies company.
- Based in Bethesda, Maryland, Lockheed Martin is engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services.
- The organization’s business spans more than 70 countries, with 97,000 employees and sales of more than $47 billion in 2016.
Challenges Occurred / Faced —
- Each of Lockheed Martin’s business areas maintains a growing group of critical SAP instances and associated applications used by thousands of employees.
- These workers use applications such as SAP ERP, financials, and other SAP modules to conduct business every day.
- Because of a corporate drive toward application consolidation and cost reduction, the organization sought to move its test and development instances of SAP HANA relational database management system, which stores and retrieves SAP application data, to the cloud.
- The organization also needed more business agility to respond to increasing requests from internal SAP users and also wanted to lower some of its capital expenses.
- The organization needed to ensure that any cloud solution would support the organization’s stringent security requirements, such as compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
“Our business area CIO had challenged us to try out the cloud, and we thought it would be best to test the cloud’s capabilities by moving our biggest and most complex test and development system — SAP Suite on HANA” ,
“Our business requires agility along with solid solutions for our ever-evolving portfolio” ,
“There are high expectations internally that we will react and deliver compute resources quickly.”
- Clint Bouska [ systems architect manager for Lockheed Martin ]
“When we thought about the cloud, we wanted to see if there was an opportunity to reduce the cost of maintaining our SAP applications.”
— Brent Eckhout [ SAP Technical Services Manager for Lockheed Martin ]
Solution : AWS
- The Lockheed Martin business area reached out to its internal Enterprise Business Services organization, which selected Amazon Web Services (AWS) as the cloud provider for the project.
- They also chose AWS because of its SAP HANA program.
- His group worked hand in hand with AWS to create a test implementation of SAP Suite on HANA running on the AWS Cloud. The deployment is set up to support SAP application integration test cycles for four of the business area’s sites.
“We selected AWS because of its maturity in the market, breadth of services, and commitment to cybersecurity”
“AWS has a lot of experience running SAP HANA platforms in the cloud, and that was huge for us”
“As an aerospace and defense firm, security is absolutely essential”
— Jeff Wright [Cloud Service Senior Manager, Enterprise Business Services, Part of Lockheed Martin’s Enterprise Operations group ]
HOW [ Services Used ] ???
- The solution utilizes two SAP HANA instances in AWS GovCloud (US), an isolated AWS region that hosts sensitive data and regulated workloads.
- The solution also takes advantage of Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) X1 instances, which are powered by quad socket Intel® Xeon® E7 8880 v3 processors that are optimized for enterprise and database workloads and are designed to run large-scale, in-memory applications.
- Reference - https://aws.amazon.com/govcloud-us/
- By working with an internal organization and AWS solution architects, the business area was able to quickly move its SAP on HANA Suite to the AWS Cloud.
- Running its SAP Suite on HANA on AWS for test and development, the business gained the agility it was looking for.
- The business also expects significant performance benefits from its cloud-based SAP environment.
- The organization also expects to cut costs by moving to the cloud.
“We always strive to get the best possible performance out of our SAP environment, and we can do that by using the Amazon EC2 X1 instance types.”
— Clint Bouska [ Systems Architect Manager, Lockheed Martin ]
- So this proves how powerful AWS is and although it was just one example.
- Like this many new start-ups, business, enterprises, Et cetera are using AWS and leveraging it’s Power to solve their multiple use cases.
- I hope u got some information how Cloud Provider like AWS plays an important role in todays world of technological era.
- At last, thank you all for reading it and being an ARTH Learner, thank you Vimal Sir for everything.
#aws #awscloud #awscsa #arthbylw #vimaldaga #righteducation #educationredefine #rightmentor #worldrecordholder #ARTH #linuxworld #makingindiafutureready #rightmentor